How would you feel about serving your holiday guests a Monkey Tail this Christmas? I know, I know. It sounds quite funny, doesn’t it? Watch your guests’ faces as you offer them this Chilean type eggnog by the name of Monkey Tail. I bet you’ll get a lot of confused smiles and awkward looks, but don’t let that deter you from making these delicious drinks.
There are many tales (see what I did there?!) and theories as to where this drink inherited its name. A blog called Arousing Appetites dishes out a common version of the story that “the name cola de mono stuck after the drink was originally distributed in bottles recycled from a Spanish drink called Anis de Mono, whose label featured a monkey with a long tail.” While the story is slightly anti-climactic, the drink is not.
Monkey Tail, also known as Cola de Mono, is a traditional Chilean drink that smells and tastes like the holidays. If you’re looking to make something for sipping around the tree, you’ve just won the jackpot with this recipe. And, if you’re like me and not much for the milky, heavy or sweet drinks, beware because this drink stole my heart before I even knew it was gone.
This monkey tail recipe is a super simple make-ahead recipe that stores about five to seven days in the refrigerator. One less thing to do as the holiday countdown nears. Enjoy this recipe from a local Chilean chef for the upcoming holiday – or anytime you need some boozy cheer.
Ingredients: (serves appx. 10)
- 1 1/2 cups freshly brewed and chilled coffee (the stronger the better; use 3-4 tbsp instant coffee if you’re time-pressed.)
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar (a little more if you like that sugar high)
- 1 1/2 cups Aguardiente (or Chilean Pisco)
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon (or 4-6 cinnamon sticks)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour milk, cinnamon, and cloves into a pot and boil over low heat.
- Turn down heat to low and stir in cold coffee to pot.
- Add sugar. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, add the aguardiente and vanilla essence into the mixture.
- Place into jars to refrigerate, chill and store until ready to drink. Garnish with ice cubes, a cinnamon stick and a dash of spice before serving.
Drink within 5-7 days.
PAIRS WELL WITH… Christmas cookies!
More Related Content
7 Responses to “Monkey Tail Drink (Cola de Mono)”
Leave a Reply