Pairs Well With…Champagne of Choice
I was sitting on my deck Saturday afternoon debating what I would bring to a friend’s summer shindig later on that evening, and feeling very indecisive. The indecisive part is nothing new for me. It was now approaching 1pm, with the party starting at 4pm, and I needed an appetizer plan with a quickness. I wasn’t about to bring something lame or store bought. I wanted to be creative and simple, but elegant.
I started dreaming up this concoction of a recipe at about 1:30pm and was crossing fingers it would turn out the way it was coming together in my head. Seeing as though I’m publishing it means it exceeded my expectations, and there’s a bonus element to the recipe!
1 bottle of champagne (Barefoot Bubbly Pinot Grigio Champagne; high end not necessary)
1 lb strawberries
1 french baguette, sliced
8 oz Brie cheese (triple cream Brie recommended)
Honey, drizzled to taste
Funnel or strainer
- Wash strawberries. Cut off tops and slice in half. Place in a deep bowl.
- Pour half the bottle of champagne over strawberries. Refrigerate strawberries and remaining champagne. (It’s best to find a wine cork and use as a temporary stopper while the strawberries are getting drunk.)
- Stir strawberries every half hour for 2-3 hours.
- Once ready, remove strawberries from the refrigerator and get ready to drain remaining champagne (this is the bonus element I was referring to earlier). You can either use a) a funnel and pour remaining champagne back into the bottle for strawberry infused champagne or b) a strainer, letting champagne go to waste. Be the better person. Choose option a. It tastes good, and your friends will thank you later.
- Slice baguette.
- Drizzle honey over your baguette slices, more so as a device to hold this ensemble together.
- Spread brie over pieces of baguette, topping each with a boozy strawberry and touched up with another drizzle of honey.
- Voila! Finger food at it’s finest, sure to impress the masses at your next party.
Don’t be shy. You, too, can get the Weekly Pairing from Pairs Well With… sent straight to your email box so you never have to worry about missing one of my ever-so-witty posts.
More Related Content
Leave a Reply